I have no idea how to pronounce “feuerzangenbowle”, but nonetheless I had a great time last night trying out a new festive drinking experience!
My friends Steph and Alun, neither of whom are German, yet they somehow own the right kit required to send a cone of sugar to a fiery, alcoholic (and delicious!) oblivion. A bit like fondue, but with less bread. And cheese.
If you’ve no idea what I’m on about, then let me enlighten you with my sole experience of feuerzangenbowle:
- Make lots of mulled wine, keeping it hot
- Add to the bowle
- Place your specially bought/prepped sugar cone on the metal shelf (zangen, I guess) over the bowle
- Dowse sugar in rum, set alight, and go “oooooooh!” and “aaaaaah!“
- Drink the resulting mixture of wine, rum and sugar
- Repeat until legless, or the fire brigade needs calling.
Here’s some shaky photos of Steph playing with fire:
More on my Flickr page. And no, the shaky photos were before having a drink!