Ugh, been ill again. FML and all that. Thankfully there’s been some decent sport on The Council Telly (that’s non-satellite/cable TV for non-UK readers) – The Open, The Davis Cup and The Tour de France are, or continue to be, entertaining. But man cannot live on sport alone (I know, right!?). Netflix to the rescue for a few days, then, and here’s what I was watching:
- Zombieland – excellent and hilarious action comedy with Jesse Eisenberg, Emma Stone, Woody Harrelson, and Abigail Breslin (and zombies, natch). Rule #2 Double Tap.
- Whip It – Drew Barrymore directed coming-of-age-rom-com (I suppose?) with Ellen Page, Alia Shawkat, Marcia Gay Harden, Drew Barrymore, Kristen Wiig and some great cameos. Fun, funny, a bit predictable and nothing we haven’t seen before (overbearing mother, rebellious teen falls out with best friend, it’s the journey not the destination, etc.) but definitely recommended.
- Obvious Child – described as “hilarious” by one critic I read before watching this, and classified as a romantic comedy. Well, a rom-com perhaps, but not hilarious. It is, however, very sweet and touching. Think Knocked Up but with some real heart. Recommended (but not for the jokes).
- Hot Girls Wanted – Incongruous in this list, a documentary on young women going into the porn industry in the USA. Hardly an eye-opener, but it is pretty depressing nonetheless.
- Clean Spirit – In the Heart of the Tour – A fascinating documentary following the pro cycling team Argos-Shimano during the 2013 Tour de France (topical!), focusing on their top sprinter Andre Kittel. No narration, great camerawork, subtitled and recommended even for non cyclists.
- Happy Gilmore – Classic(?) Adam Sandler comedy about a crap ice hockey player-turned-Pro-Am golfer (also topical!). Fun and ridiculous with a great villain in Christopher McDonald, the seasoned pro who’ll stop at nothing to win The Championsip.
- Tucker and Dale vs Evil – I totally missed this when it came out, but absolutely 5 star recommendation. Comedy horror, brilliantly done, with Alan Tudyk and Tyler Labine as the eponymous heroes. I literally lol’d all the way through. Great film.
- Game of Thrones – Season 5 [blinkbox] – Well, I sat and watched this in two sittings, so I must’ve enjoyed it, but to be honest it ended with a feeling of dissatisfaction. I worked out what it was when I read the Atlantic’s series covering the episodes…Ramsay Bolton appearing all the bloody time! Anyway, nice ending, can’t wait for the final season.
- Mad Men – Season 7 (Part 2) [blinkbox] – Speaking of final seasons, Mad Men finished after, what, 8 years? What a wonderful show. and the only TV drama I’ve really got into in a big way. A teary final couple of episodes, but what else would I expect. Watch it and love it.
- Bojack Horseman – Season 2 – Absolutely quality (in the Scottish sense) cartoon on Netflix. Will Arnett, Amy Sedaris and Aaron Paul head this superbly well written surreal black satire on Hollywood, fame and media. Again, much lol’ing, but with a tragic main character and puns. Genius, and hope it continues. Here’s a trailer: